President ‘seriously ill’ as attacks rock Tunisia capital

Spread the love

Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi delivers a speech during the opening day of the 40th session of the United Nations (UN) Human Rights Council in Geneva on February 25, 2019.

Double suicide attacks shook Tunisia’s capital Thursday, even as the country was plunged into uncertainty with the hospitalisation of President Beji Caid Essebsi who was said to be “seriously ill”.
The violence revived fears for the stability of the North African state, which is seen as a rare democratic success story of the Arab Spring uprisings but has been hit by repeated Islamist attacks.
Thursday’s blasts — one on a central avenue and another against a security base — killed a police officer and wounded at least eight people including several civilians, the interior ministry said.

An AFP correspondent saw body parts strewn in the road around a police car after the first attack, which took place on Habib Bourguiba, a central avenue near the old city.
The interior ministry said one policeman died from his wounds after that blast, while another policeman and three civilians were wounded.
“It was a suicide attack,” interior ministry spokesman Sofiene Zaag said.

Half an hour later, the second attack targeted a base of the national guard, judicial police and the anti-terror branch in the capital.
“An individual blew himself up outside the back door” of the base, wounding four security personnel, Zaag said, adding that both bombers were men.
Ambulances and emergency services vehicles quickly arrived on the scene as security forces tried to keep the curious away.
Body parts lay on the sidewalk near the police vehicle that was targeted, including the head and feet of the bomber.

Onlookers shocked
Some onlookers rushed in to take pictures, while others fainted in shock or left the scene in tears.
“Get out of here! What are you filming? Go away! Go home,” officers shouted as they tried to push people behind a police cordon.
Several shops and offices closed amid the panic.
Just hours after news of the attacks broke, the presidency announced that Essebsi “was taken seriously ill and transferred to the military hospital in Tunis”.

Key adviser Firas Guefrech described the 92-year-old leader as in “critical condition” and in a later tweet said that Essebsi was “stable”, urging supporters to pray for his recovery.
Prime Minister Youssef Chahed said on Facebook he had paid a visit to the ailing president.
“I would like to reassure Tunisians that the president is receiving the necessary care,” he said, warning against the dissemination of “false and confusing information”.
Essebsi, the country’s first democratically elected president, came to power in 2014, three years after the Arab Spring uprising toppled longtime dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali and sparked revolts in several Arab nations.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks.
Civil protection units and police rapidly deployed to Habib Bourguiba avenue, where the interior ministry is located
“It is a cowardly terrorist operation… (to) destabilise Tunisians, the economy and democratic transition,” Chahed told reporters, noting that it happened as the tourist season was in full swing.
“These (terrorist) groups don’t belong in Tunisia and our war against them is… a question of life or

Spread the love

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.